Thatcher released from hospital after surgery
London: Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has been discharged from hospital after she underwent a bladder surgery early last week, a media report said on Sunday.
The 87-year-old baroness had spent Christmas in a Central London hospital after being admitted earlier this month.
According to BBC, Thatcher was doing well and left the hospital yesterday to "convalesce privately."
It is, however, not clear whether she is now at home.
The former Conservative leader was said to be `doing well` after the minor operation.
"She`s very tough. The doctors are perfectly happy. They say the operation has been completely satisfactory," former adviser and friend, Lord Bell was quoted by BBC News as saying, following her operation.
Earlier last week, the British Prime Minister David Cameron had tweeted a message to Thatcher after her admission, wishing her a `speedy recovery`.
Thatcher was the UK`s first female prime minister and served three terms, between 1979 and 1990.
The veteran ex-premier`s public appearances have been very restricted over recent years due to continued ill health.
Her health was thrust into the global spotlight this year when Meryl Streep starred in a controversial Hollywood film about her.
The Iron Lady drew criticism from Cameron and others for concentrating on the dementia she has suffered after a series of small strokes.
Meryl Streep won an Oscar for the role.
Her daughter, Carol Thatcher, has previously spoken of her mother`s struggle with dementia.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata