Thatcher was anti-feminist: Critic
London, April 28: Margaret Thatcher was the only woman to have held the office of prime minister in Britain, but a critic feels that she was anti-feminist and did nothing directly to promote the interests of women.
Thatcher, who was prime minister from May 1979 to
November 1990, held one of the longest tenures in 10 Downing
Street. She was once proclaimed as the `only man in the
A colloquium will be held at the University of the West
of England (UWE), Bristol on 8 May to mark the 30th
anniversary of Thatcher`s election as the Conservative prime
minister in 1979, and to look critically at her legacy.
"Margaret Thatcher is remarkable in that she is the only
woman to have held the office of Prime Minister in this
country and yet she did nothing directly to promote the
interests of women – if anything, she was very anti-feminist",
Colloquium organiser Estella Tincknell, Reader in Media and
Cultural Studies at UWE said.
She added that Thatcher`s policies stopped the move
towards a more equal society that had been taking place over
the previous fifty years in the UK by placing the onus of
achievement onto individual success regardless of the social
"It is no coincidence that her period in office saw the
rise of the yuppie and the beginnings of a national obsession
with property values rather than human values. We are just
beginning to question this transformation as a society in the
aftermath of the global economic crash", Tincknell said.
According to Tincknell, Thatcher`s time in power during
the 1980s gave rise to some interesting fashions – shoulder
pads, business suits and pussy bows - and "influenced the
assumption not only that women had to behave like men in order
to succeed at work but that there was no need for feminism
because women were now more successful than men".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire