Thatcher wasn`t a racist, says ex-S African prez De Klerk
Cape Town: Former South African president FW de Klerk has rejected accusations that former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher was a racist.
De Klerk said Thatcher did not give the "slightest support for apartheid or for racial discrimination of any kind".
His remarks came on Tuesday, on the eve of the Iron Lady`s funeral, News 24 reports.
Thatcher was accused of racism because of her opposition to sanctions against the apartheid regime.
According to the report, De Klerk said she simply understood the politics at play better than most contemporaries.
De Klerk added that he consulted with Thatcher during the dying year of apartheid, to inform her about his "intention of embarking on fundamental constitutional transformation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!