`The guy is dead. That is good`: Bush on bin Laden
Washington: Former US president George W Bush this week reportedly praised President Barack Obama`s decision to order the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and declared: "The guy is dead. That is good."
Bush -- who famously declared after the September 11 terrorist attacks that he wanted bin Laden "dead or alive" -- spoke out on the al Qaeda leader at a conference of hedge fund managers in Las Vegas, ABC news reported.
The former president said he was "not overjoyed" to hear that elite US commandos had taken out bin Laden in Pakistan, explaining that the covert strike had been carried out not "out of hatred but to exact judgment”.
"The guy is dead. That is good," Bush said, according to an ABC news contributor who attended the event. "Osama`s death is a great victory in the war on terror. He was held up as a leader."
Asked about the accuracy of the report, a spokesman for the former president, David Sherzer, said: "Most of the quotes are not accurate. But the general tenor of the piece accurately reflects President Bush`s views."
Bush said he was eating in a restaurant with wife Laura Bush and two friends when he received Obama`s telephone call to inform him of the raid, and hastened home to take the call.
"Obama simply said `Osama Bin Laden is dead’," ABC`s source quoted Bush as saying.
After Obama detailed his decision to order the raid on bin Laden`s fortified compound in Pakistan, Bush replied: "Good call."
The former president praised US intelligence services and recalled a meeting with secretive and deadly US Navy Seal "Team Six" in Afghanistan.
"I said, `I hope you have everything you need. One guy said, `We need your permission to go into Pakistan and kick ass’," ABC quoted Bush as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why