`The guy is dead. That is good`: Bush on bin Laden
Washington: Former US president George W Bush this week reportedly praised President Barack Obama`s decision to order the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and declared: "The guy is dead. That is good."
Bush -- who famously declared after the September 11 terrorist attacks that he wanted bin Laden "dead or alive" -- spoke out on the al Qaeda leader at a conference of hedge fund managers in Las Vegas, ABC news reported.
The former president said he was "not overjoyed" to hear that elite US commandos had taken out bin Laden in Pakistan, explaining that the covert strike had been carried out not "out of hatred but to exact judgment”.
"The guy is dead. That is good," Bush said, according to an ABC news contributor who attended the event. "Osama`s death is a great victory in the war on terror. He was held up as a leader."
Asked about the accuracy of the report, a spokesman for the former president, David Sherzer, said: "Most of the quotes are not accurate. But the general tenor of the piece accurately reflects President Bush`s views."
Bush said he was eating in a restaurant with wife Laura Bush and two friends when he received Obama`s telephone call to inform him of the raid, and hastened home to take the call.
"Obama simply said `Osama Bin Laden is dead’," ABC`s source quoted Bush as saying.
After Obama detailed his decision to order the raid on bin Laden`s fortified compound in Pakistan, Bush replied: "Good call."
The former president praised US intelligence services and recalled a meeting with secretive and deadly US Navy Seal "Team Six" in Afghanistan.
"I said, `I hope you have everything you need. One guy said, `We need your permission to go into Pakistan and kick ass’," ABC quoted Bush as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India