‘The Iron Lady’ draws fire from Cameron, Tories
London: `Iron Lady`, a film on Margaret
Thatcher opened to acclaim and rancour in theatres across UK
with the British prime minister David Cameron firing the first
salvo saying the mega-movie should have been released only
after her death.
Though, concedeing the portrayal of his predecessor by
Meryl Streep was "a fantastic piece of acting", Cameron
questioned the timing of the film, saying he wished it had
been made "another day".
It is "more about ageing and elements of dementia rather
than about an amazing prime minister", the British Prime
Minister told BBC.
The movie opened to full houses, but it drew fury from
Thatcher`s colleaguess among the Tories with a former minister
Lord Hurd labelling the film "ghoulish", but its director has
defended her work.
The biopic shows Thatcher as a frail sometimes confused
old lady looking back at her carrier with the ghost of her
late husband Denis looking on.
The film is set in the present - when the former prime
minister is portrayed as mentally and physically frail - but
contains flashbacks to her days in office.
Asked about it on BBC Radio 4`s Today programme, Cameron
said: "It`s a fantastic piece of acting by Meryl Streep, but
you can`t help wondering, why do we have to have this film
"It is a film much more about ageing and elements of
dementia rather than about an amazing prime minister.
"My sense was a great piece of acting, a staggering piece
of acting, but a film I wish they could have made another
But the movies mega-star Streep, who is tipped for an
Oscar for her performance in the film has brushed aside the
criticism, saying she relished the "opportunity" to play
someone at the waning of her life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’