There is no government in Libya: Hugo Chavez
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on Wednesday that he won`t recognise Libya`s new government and predicted more war in the country.
The Venezuelan leader condemned the killing of Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi, whom he had considered a friend. He defended Gaddafi throughout the conflict and strongly criticised NATO`s military involvement in the country.
"For us, there is no government in Libya," Chavez told reporters at the presidential palace.
"We don`t recognise the government that NATO has installed. It`s installed a government through bombs in Libya and through a genocide ... and an assassination," Chavez said.
"Independently of who the president was, whether you or others didn`t like him ... he was the president of Libya," Chavez said.
He said the conflict has left behind a shattered country, and he predicted that it isn`t over.
"Libya isn`t under anyone`s control. A war will start there now," Chavez said. "Well, it already started, imposed by NATO and the United Nations Security Council."
"They destroyed that country, and now there`s chaos there, violence everywhere," he added.
The Venezuelan President demanded peace negotiations during the conflict in Libya and denounced the rebels as "terrorists”. Gaddafi at one point sent Chavez a letter thanking him for his support.
Chavez said after Gaddafi`s death that he would be remembered as a martyr.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das