Thick haze sweeps through Singapore
Singapore: Smoke from forest fires in Indonesia has choked Singapore, prompting authorities here to take precautionary measures following the worsening pollution level in the city-state.
The haze, blown from fires in Sumatra Island, hit Singapore and Peninsular Malaysia over the weekend and lifted air-pollution indexes.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said its air traffic controllers have increased the separation between flight takeoffs and landings as an added precautionary measure following the worsening haze situation in the city state, Channel News Asia reported on Thursday.
CAAS explained that the Runway Visual Range (RVR) reading has dropped to levels lower than 1,500 metres due to the haze.
RVR is a measurement of the horizontal visibility along the runway or the range over which the pilot of an aircraft can see along the runway.
CAAS said a high air Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) may cause the RVR value to fall and therefore may impact flight operations. On Wednesday Singapore registered PSI of 321.
The air becomes "very unhealthy" if PSI past 200 mark and "hazardous" past 300.
The air quality in Muar city in southern Peninsular Malaysia was hazardous with the air pollutant index (API) reading hitting 337.
In 1997, the RVR was lowest at 800 metres during the worst haze environment but flight operations were maintained then.
Minister of Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan said the haze was set to persist over the next few days, and whether a stop-work order would be issued would depend on the severity of the haze conditions.
Balakrishnan pointed out that this was the worst haze hitting Singapore. Sports facilities and schools might be closed if needed. The Health Ministry has advised Singaporeans to limit prolonged or heavy outdoor activities.
Singapore`s National Environment Agency (NEA) Chief Executive Officer Andrew Tan is leading a delegation to Jakarta on Thursday for an emergency haze meeting convened by the Indonesian Foreign Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter