Thick haze sweeps through Singapore
Singapore: Smoke from forest fires in Indonesia has choked Singapore, prompting authorities here to take precautionary measures following the worsening pollution level in the city-state.
The haze, blown from fires in Sumatra Island, hit Singapore and Peninsular Malaysia over the weekend and lifted air-pollution indexes.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said its air traffic controllers have increased the separation between flight takeoffs and landings as an added precautionary measure following the worsening haze situation in the city state, Channel News Asia reported on Thursday.
CAAS explained that the Runway Visual Range (RVR) reading has dropped to levels lower than 1,500 metres due to the haze.
RVR is a measurement of the horizontal visibility along the runway or the range over which the pilot of an aircraft can see along the runway.
CAAS said a high air Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) may cause the RVR value to fall and therefore may impact flight operations. On Wednesday Singapore registered PSI of 321.
The air becomes "very unhealthy" if PSI past 200 mark and "hazardous" past 300.
The air quality in Muar city in southern Peninsular Malaysia was hazardous with the air pollutant index (API) reading hitting 337.
In 1997, the RVR was lowest at 800 metres during the worst haze environment but flight operations were maintained then.
Minister of Environment and Water Resources Vivian Balakrishnan said the haze was set to persist over the next few days, and whether a stop-work order would be issued would depend on the severity of the haze conditions.
Balakrishnan pointed out that this was the worst haze hitting Singapore. Sports facilities and schools might be closed if needed. The Health Ministry has advised Singaporeans to limit prolonged or heavy outdoor activities.
Singapore`s National Environment Agency (NEA) Chief Executive Officer Andrew Tan is leading a delegation to Jakarta on Thursday for an emergency haze meeting convened by the Indonesian Foreign Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured