Thieves steal Cyprus ex-president`s body from grave
Nicosia: Thieves opened the grave of former Cypriot president Tassos Papadopoulos and stole his corpse during the night, state television reported on Friday, interrupting its normal programming.
The current leader of Papadopoulos`s centre-right DIKO party, Marios Garoyan, condemned what he called a "heinous and terrible crime”.
Andros Kyprianou, head of the communist AKEL party that leads the Mediterranean island`s government, expressed outrage at the crime, which came the day before a memorial service to mark the first anniversary of Papadopoulos`s death.
"I don`t know what kind of people would create such a terrible crime and steal a corpse," he said. "There`s nothing for me to say."
There was no immediate comment from Papadopoulos`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred