Thieves steal Cyprus ex-president`s body from grave
Nicosia: Thieves opened the grave of former Cypriot president Tassos Papadopoulos and stole his corpse during the night, state television reported on Friday, interrupting its normal programming.
The current leader of Papadopoulos`s centre-right DIKO party, Marios Garoyan, condemned what he called a "heinous and terrible crime”.
Andros Kyprianou, head of the communist AKEL party that leads the Mediterranean island`s government, expressed outrage at the crime, which came the day before a memorial service to mark the first anniversary of Papadopoulos`s death.
"I don`t know what kind of people would create such a terrible crime and steal a corpse," he said. "There`s nothing for me to say."
There was no immediate comment from Papadopoulos`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam