Third fisherman found dead in Spain shipwreck
Madrid: Rescuers found a body today in the wreck of a fishing boat that ran aground off northern Spain, bringing to three the number confirmed dead in the accident, officials said.
The Portuguese-flagged fishing boat ran aground on Monday. Two of the nine crew were reported dead the same day, one was rescued and the rest were missing.
Rescue divers found the third body today after finally managing to get into the wreck after being prevented by rough weather for several days, a police spokeswoman told AFP.
"The body was in one of the cabins, where no others have been found for the time being," she said.
"The search is ongoing," she added as the other five crew members were still missing.
The third body found was that of Lucas Jose Mayo Abeijon, from the nearby village of Muros on Spain`s northwestern coast.
The vessel ran aground on the island of Erbosa, half a nautical mile off Cape Penas in the Asturias region, maritime rescue services said. It was left semi-submerged.
Among the five missing today were two Indonesians, two Spaniards and a Portuguese.
The boat`s Portuguese captain and a Spanish cook were the first found dead. The one crew member rescued by another fishing boat is from Spain.
The village of Muros, home to Mayo Abeijon and one of those missing, has declared three days of mourning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says