`Those guilty for boat tragedy must be punished`
Moscow: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev
has sought a thorough probe and strict punishment for those
responsible for the Bulgaria boat tragedy that claimed lives
of at least 113 passengers in Volga river.
At least 113 passengers, including many children, were
killed when the overloaded vintage cruise vessel carrying 208
people sunk in Volga river in a heavy storm in the Russian
Republic of Tatarstan.
"Everyone involved in organising this should bear
responsibility," Medvedev said in a televised meeting with top
investigators at his country retreat Gorki near here
He called for a thorough probe and strict punishment
for those directly or indirectly responsible for the tragedy
A passing passenger ship had rescued 79 passengers of
the ill-fated the Bulgaria built in 1955 in former
Czechoslovakia. At least, 16 people are still missing.
During an unscheduled Tatarstan visit, Prime Minister
Vladimir Putin on Thursday blamed "irresponsibility,
negligence and greed" for the tragedy.
On Wednesday, the police have arrested the CEO of the
company operating the Bulgaria and the river transport
inspector who declared it seaworthy.
Chief of the Investigative Committee Alexander
Bastrykin had ordered the arrest of the captains of two ships
that passed by the sinking Bulgaria without trying to help
rescue people on board.
According to RIA Novosti, they face up to two years
behind bars if found guilty of deliberately ignoring a vessel
The special salvage team of the Russian Navy is
completing the preparations for lifting the Bulgaria on
surface over the weekend with the help of powerful floating
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing