Thousands attend burial of Kenya security minister
Nairobi: Thousands of mourners attended the burial of Kenya`s internal security minister days after his death in a helicopter crash.
George Saitoti, a prominent politician who planned to run for president in 2013, was buried on Saturday at his home on the outskirts of Nairobi. He was killed on Sunday along with his deputy and all four others aboard.
The American-educated economist and mathematician played a key role in Kenya`s decision to send troops into Somalia to pursue al Qaeda-linked Somali militants after a string of attacks in Kenya.
For over a decade, he was a deputy to former president Daniel arap Moi.
Speakers at the event praised Saitoti`s intelligence and work in government. But his critics say he will be remembered for being finance minister when a scam in the early 90`s involving his ministry almost crippled the economy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai