Thousands attend burial of Kenya security minister
Nairobi: Thousands of mourners attended the burial of Kenya`s internal security minister days after his death in a helicopter crash.
George Saitoti, a prominent politician who planned to run for president in 2013, was buried on Saturday at his home on the outskirts of Nairobi. He was killed on Sunday along with his deputy and all four others aboard.
The American-educated economist and mathematician played a key role in Kenya`s decision to send troops into Somalia to pursue al Qaeda-linked Somali militants after a string of attacks in Kenya.
For over a decade, he was a deputy to former president Daniel arap Moi.
Speakers at the event praised Saitoti`s intelligence and work in government. But his critics say he will be remembered for being finance minister when a scam in the early 90`s involving his ministry almost crippled the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days