Thousands attend burial of Kenya security minister
Nairobi: Thousands of mourners attended the burial of Kenya`s internal security minister days after his death in a helicopter crash.
George Saitoti, a prominent politician who planned to run for president in 2013, was buried on Saturday at his home on the outskirts of Nairobi. He was killed on Sunday along with his deputy and all four others aboard.
The American-educated economist and mathematician played a key role in Kenya`s decision to send troops into Somalia to pursue al Qaeda-linked Somali militants after a string of attacks in Kenya.
For over a decade, he was a deputy to former president Daniel arap Moi.
Speakers at the event praised Saitoti`s intelligence and work in government. But his critics say he will be remembered for being finance minister when a scam in the early 90`s involving his ministry almost crippled the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal