Thousands attend burial of Kenya security minister
Nairobi: Thousands of mourners attended the burial of Kenya`s internal security minister days after his death in a helicopter crash.
George Saitoti, a prominent politician who planned to run for president in 2013, was buried on Saturday at his home on the outskirts of Nairobi. He was killed on Sunday along with his deputy and all four others aboard.
The American-educated economist and mathematician played a key role in Kenya`s decision to send troops into Somalia to pursue al Qaeda-linked Somali militants after a string of attacks in Kenya.
For over a decade, he was a deputy to former president Daniel arap Moi.
Speakers at the event praised Saitoti`s intelligence and work in government. But his critics say he will be remembered for being finance minister when a scam in the early 90`s involving his ministry almost crippled the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees