Thousands attend burial of Kenya security minister
Nairobi: Thousands of mourners attended the burial of Kenya`s internal security minister days after his death in a helicopter crash.
George Saitoti, a prominent politician who planned to run for president in 2013, was buried on Saturday at his home on the outskirts of Nairobi. He was killed on Sunday along with his deputy and all four others aboard.
The American-educated economist and mathematician played a key role in Kenya`s decision to send troops into Somalia to pursue al Qaeda-linked Somali militants after a string of attacks in Kenya.
For over a decade, he was a deputy to former president Daniel arap Moi.
Speakers at the event praised Saitoti`s intelligence and work in government. But his critics say he will be remembered for being finance minister when a scam in the early 90`s involving his ministry almost crippled the economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside