Thousands displaced, 27 dead in Indonesian floods
Jakarta: Floods have caused havoc in Indonesia, with a total of 27 people being dead and thousands left displaced in different regions of the country.
Widespread flooding in the capital city of Jakarta have left seven killed and about 11,000 displaced, officials said Saturday, adding more floods were expected as heavy downpours were forecast within next two days.
Floods caused by torrential rains have forced some residents in Jakarta to flee their homes and take shelters in government buildings, schools and makeshift tents, Xinhua quoted Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesperson for national disaster agency, as saying.
Since Tuesday, as many as seven people have been killed after being swept away by floods, and now (Saturday), the floods have forced 10,530 people to live in shelters, he added.
Meanwhile, in North Sulawesi province, a total of 20 people have been killed by floods and landslide as of Saturday, the national disaster agency said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents