Thousands flock to Vatican to back pope over abuse
Vatican City: Tens of thousands of people have filled St Peter`s Square in a massive show of solidarity with Pope Benedict XVI over the clerical sex abuse scandal.
An association of 68 Italian lay groups organised the demonstration, which overflowed out of the piazza. Banners read `Together with the pope`, and `Don`t be afraid, Jesus won out over evil`.
Such large crowds are usually reserved for holiday Masses and canonisations, not for Benedict`s brief weekly prayer from his studio window.
The Vatican has been mired in scandal amid hundreds of reports in Europe, the United States and elsewhere of priests who raped and molested children while bishops and Vatican officials turned a blind eye. Benedict`s own handling of cases has also come under fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3