Thousands flock to Vatican to back pope over abuse
Vatican City: Tens of thousands of people have filled St Peter`s Square in a massive show of solidarity with Pope Benedict XVI over the clerical sex abuse scandal.
An association of 68 Italian lay groups organised the demonstration, which overflowed out of the piazza. Banners read `Together with the pope`, and `Don`t be afraid, Jesus won out over evil`.
Such large crowds are usually reserved for holiday Masses and canonisations, not for Benedict`s brief weekly prayer from his studio window.
The Vatican has been mired in scandal amid hundreds of reports in Europe, the United States and elsewhere of priests who raped and molested children while bishops and Vatican officials turned a blind eye. Benedict`s own handling of cases has also come under fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city