Thousands in UK join anti-austerity march
London: Thousands of protesters in London, Glasgow and Belfast today held a loud but peaceful march against British government`s austerity measures aimed at slashing the nation`s debt.
Labour leader Ed Miliband is among dozens of speakers addressing crowds at the biggest march in London.
Demonstrators want the coalition to end public service cuts and instead create policies they say can create growth.
However, the government says austerity measures are vital to cutting the deficit. Union leaders recently criticised Labour for supporting a public sector pay freeze.
Organiser Trades Union Congress (TUC), which says workers and campaigners from across the UK are involved with the demonstration, estimates that 100,000 people are taking part while the Met Police has not released an estimate.
Last year, more than 250,000 people had taken part in a London anti-cuts march and rally.
Thousands of activists poured down London`s streets in a demonstration against reductions to public sector spending which officials are pushing through in order to rein in the Britain`s debt, which stands at more than 1 trillion pounds.
Banners on display have included those reading "Cameron has butchered Britain", "no cuts" and "plebs on parade" - a reference to the row that led to the resignation of government chief whip Andrew Mitchell, the BBC reported.
Demonstrators were brought to London in more than 250 coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO