Thousands in UK join anti-austerity march
London: Thousands of protesters in London, Glasgow and Belfast today held a loud but peaceful march against British government`s austerity measures aimed at slashing the nation`s debt.
Labour leader Ed Miliband is among dozens of speakers addressing crowds at the biggest march in London.
Demonstrators want the coalition to end public service cuts and instead create policies they say can create growth.
However, the government says austerity measures are vital to cutting the deficit. Union leaders recently criticised Labour for supporting a public sector pay freeze.
Organiser Trades Union Congress (TUC), which says workers and campaigners from across the UK are involved with the demonstration, estimates that 100,000 people are taking part while the Met Police has not released an estimate.
Last year, more than 250,000 people had taken part in a London anti-cuts march and rally.
Thousands of activists poured down London`s streets in a demonstration against reductions to public sector spending which officials are pushing through in order to rein in the Britain`s debt, which stands at more than 1 trillion pounds.
Banners on display have included those reading "Cameron has butchered Britain", "no cuts" and "plebs on parade" - a reference to the row that led to the resignation of government chief whip Andrew Mitchell, the BBC reported.
Demonstrators were brought to London in more than 250 coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title