Thousands of rapists, thieves in Britain evading jail
London: Thousands of criminals in Britain, including rapists, burglars and arsonists, are managing to escape a stay in jail as they are being let off with just a slap on the wrist, official statistics have revealed.
Labour`s Shadow Justice Minister Andy Slaughter unearthed figures showing over 400 sex offenders who admitted having committed or attempted rape over the past 15 years walked free after being given a caution by police, Daily Express reported.
During the same period over 90,000 burglaries, almost 8,000 serious assaults and 7,000 robberies were dealt with by cautions, along with more than 500,000 acts of vandalism and arson attacks.
Slaughter said: "There is a place for cautions in the criminal justice system, but it is inappropriate to use them for very serious crimes and where the offences should come before a court."
Traditionally, cautions are usually handed out for minor, first-time offences.
"Most decent-minded people will find it hard to understand how rape or attempted rape can ever justify a caution," said Conservative MP Nick de Bois.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi