Thousands of Syrians cross over to Iraq: UNHCR
Baghdad: Despite thousands of Syrians` presence in Iraq, over 21,000 moe people have streamed into this country over the past few days in a sudden influx since the Syrian conflict began two years ago, the UN refugee agency said Monday.
UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) said it is witnessing a major exodus from Syria since Thursday into Iraq at the Peshkhabour bridge over the Tigris river, Xinhua reported.
The latest influx would be added to over 154,000 Syrian refugees who are already in the country, UNHCR said, adding that many of the fleeing refugees said that were fleeing fighting between armed groups, and they also talked about the scarcity of water, food and electricity.
Most of the refugees fled areas in northern Syria including Aleppo, Hassake and Qamishly.
Iraq is already facing problems with the increasing numbers of its own displaced people, as the UN mission in Iraq warned earlier in the day that 1.1 million Iraqis, internally displaced in the country, are facing tough future as the country is witnessing conflicts and political strife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says