Thousands protest abortion law in Spain
Madrid: Thousands of people took to the streets in nearly 100 cities on Sunday to protest against abortion and demand the nullification of the new law recently approved in Spain regulating voluntary interruption of pregnancy.
The International March for Life 2010 was called by some 270 organisations with the aim of requesting the revocation of the law, which will go into force at the beginning of July and which sets 16 as the age of majority for a woman in deciding whether to end her pregnancy of up to 14 weeks.
Under the slogan ‘Spain Life Yes. In democracy one listens to the people’, the largest demonstration was held in Madrid.
The march in the capital transpired amid a festive atmosphere and the participants carried Spanish flags and other red banners, as well as red, blue and white balloons that they released at the end of the demonstration.
Leading the march was a float with music on which rode several young people who periodically shouted slogans such as "Zapatero, your mother didn`t abort you", referring to Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, and "This is how we young people of Spain are".
Upon their arrival at the stage set up on the central Puerta del Sol, those in the vanguard of the march were received by the sounds of ABBA`s song ‘Mamma Mia’.
After watching a video entitled ‘Power of life’ on a screen installed over the stage, the crowd observed a minute of silence "in memory of the children who are not going to be born", talk show host Carlos Moreno said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday