Thousands protest against Arizona immigration law
Washington: Thousands of demonstrators converged in the capital of Arizona state in the US on the weekend to protest a controversial state migration law they claim will institutionalise racial discrimination.
Protesters from around the nation began arriving in Phoenix early Friday to make a stand and urge the Obama administration to push for "integral" federal immigration law reform, media reports said.
Immigrants were joined by native-born citizens such as Eric Ruder of Chicago, who said, "The criminalisation of immigrants is a dangerous road this country is taking", broadcaster CNN reported.
The law adopted last month by the border state permits police to demand proof of citizenship from any person, without suspicion of any crime.
Obama has ordered the federal Justice Department to conduct an analysis of the legislation to see if it is unconstitutional, while various civil rights groups have filed suits in court, hoping to delay the July effective date.
But the law has many supporters, and counter demonstration was being planned in Phoenix suburbs. More than a dozen other states are said to be considering similar legislation to control illegal immigration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know