Thousands protest against French education reforms
Paris: Thousands of students and teachers took to the streets on Friday to protest against French President Nicolas Sarkozy`s education reforms, Xinhua reported.
Demonstrations were also held in major cities like Strasbourg, Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse and Nice after eight major teachers` unions called for a countrywide protest.
Police said about 1,000 people participated in the demonstrations in Paris, but according to educational unions around 10,000 protesters took part.
Teachers from colleges, vocational and secondary schools participated.
The unions complain about job cuts and strict academic assessments in hiring teachers. Education Minister Luc Chatel recently proposed to recruit retirees and students to substitute absent teachers.
According to the Education Ministry, 12.9 percent of teachers across the country stopped work on Friday, but a high school teachers` union said 50 percent of high school and college teachers participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read