Thousands protest against government in Bahrain
Manama (Bahrain): Thousands of people have taken to the streets in Bahrain to demonstrate against the government in a permitted protest in the Gulf kingdom.
The demonstrators marched west of Bahrain`s capital, Manama, today to protest new strict new laws designed to curb dissent.
Opposition parties called for the protest and it had prior approval from the government, meaning it wasn`t broken up like others recently called by demonstrators in the Sunni-ruled kingdom.
Security forces have kept other protests away from the center of the capital in this country that`s home to the US Navy`s 5th Fleet.
The island nation with a native population of more than 5,50,000 has been gripped by near nonstop turmoil since February 2011, when Shiites inspired by the Arab Spring began the uprising.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding