Thousands protest against Italy PM
Rome: Two weeks before regional elections across Italy, tens of thousands of protesters once again came out on Saturday to protest against Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and those allied to him.
Gathering at the Piazza del Popolo, protesters especially spoke out against an order that allowed members of Berlusconi`s party to appear on ballots even though they missed a filing deadline. Past protests have focused on Berlusconi`s interest in passing laws that would exempt him from some legal proceedings.
Pier Luigi Bersani, head of the largest opposition PD party, called for unity in the opposition to Berlusconi. "A different Italy is possible," he exhorted.
Organisers estimated 200,000 people joined the protests. Police estimate - which tend to be lower - were not yet available. There were also gatherings in Bologna and Milan. The regional elections are set for March 28 and 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh