Thousands protest Angela Merkel`s Greece visit
Athens: About 30,000 demonstrators gathered in Athens Tuesday to protest German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s visit, Greek media reports said.
The demonstrators blamed Germany for forcing painful austerity measures on their country. Police fired teargas towards some stone-throwing protesters.
It was Merkel`s first visit to Greece since the eurozone crisis broke out almost three years ago.
Pledged continuing support to Greece, Merkel said, "Greece has made good progress in dealing with its vast debt but was on a "difficult path".
Athens is preparing to make new cuts of 13 billion euros to qualify for more bailout cash.
Merkel acknowledged that there were "many people suffering in Greece" as a result of the financial crisis and austerity measures, but the difficult path was necessary to "ensure future generations could live in prosperity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!