Thousands protest Angela Merkel`s Greece visit
Athens: About 30,000 demonstrators gathered in Athens Tuesday to protest German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s visit, Greek media reports said.
The demonstrators blamed Germany for forcing painful austerity measures on their country. Police fired teargas towards some stone-throwing protesters.
It was Merkel`s first visit to Greece since the eurozone crisis broke out almost three years ago.
Pledged continuing support to Greece, Merkel said, "Greece has made good progress in dealing with its vast debt but was on a "difficult path".
Athens is preparing to make new cuts of 13 billion euros to qualify for more bailout cash.
Merkel acknowledged that there were "many people suffering in Greece" as a result of the financial crisis and austerity measures, but the difficult path was necessary to "ensure future generations could live in prosperity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation