Thousands protest Angela Merkel`s Greece visit
Athens: About 30,000 demonstrators gathered in Athens Tuesday to protest German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s visit, Greek media reports said.
The demonstrators blamed Germany for forcing painful austerity measures on their country. Police fired teargas towards some stone-throwing protesters.
It was Merkel`s first visit to Greece since the eurozone crisis broke out almost three years ago.
Pledged continuing support to Greece, Merkel said, "Greece has made good progress in dealing with its vast debt but was on a "difficult path".
Athens is preparing to make new cuts of 13 billion euros to qualify for more bailout cash.
Merkel acknowledged that there were "many people suffering in Greece" as a result of the financial crisis and austerity measures, but the difficult path was necessary to "ensure future generations could live in prosperity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!