Thousands protest Angela Merkel`s Greece visit
Athens: About 30,000 demonstrators gathered in Athens Tuesday to protest German Chancellor Angela Merkel`s visit, Greek media reports said.
The demonstrators blamed Germany for forcing painful austerity measures on their country. Police fired teargas towards some stone-throwing protesters.
It was Merkel`s first visit to Greece since the eurozone crisis broke out almost three years ago.
Pledged continuing support to Greece, Merkel said, "Greece has made good progress in dealing with its vast debt but was on a "difficult path".
Athens is preparing to make new cuts of 13 billion euros to qualify for more bailout cash.
Merkel acknowledged that there were "many people suffering in Greece" as a result of the financial crisis and austerity measures, but the difficult path was necessary to "ensure future generations could live in prosperity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug