Thousands protest China trade deal in Taiwan
Taipei: Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators gathered in the streets around Taiwan`s Parliament on Sunday to protest a trade pact with China, a nearly 2-week-old protest that is challenging the president`s policy of moving the democratic island economically closer to China.
Lin Fei-fan, a protest organiser, estimated that 500,000 people had turned out in the biggest demonstration since the movement started.
Crowds dressed in black sat on one blocked boulevard, many carrying plastic or real sunflowers, the symbol of the protest movement, and wearing yellow ribbons that read "Fight for democracy, retract the service trade pact."
Several hundred mainly student protesters have been occupying Taiwan`s Parliament building since March 18, supported by thousands outside the building.
They are protesting President Ma Ying-jeou`s intention to enact a trade deal that would allow Taiwanese and Chinese service sector companies to open up branches or shops in the other`s territory.
Yesterday, Ma gave into students` demands to increase scrutiny of future pacts signed with China, but refused to withdraw the pact in question, saying it would deeply harm Taiwan`s interests.
"I`m not against free trade, but the government should come up with policies to protect local industries before they open the door," said a protester, Philip Lihan, 30, a graphic designer in Taipei originally from Chiayi in southern Taiwan.
"I`ve been sitting-in near the legislature every day after work until midnight," said Lihan, who added that he had been working with other artists to create murals in support of the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days