Thousands protest in Rome against austerity cuts
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Thousands of protesters on Saturday took to the streets of the Italian capital Rome calling for an end to austerity measures and demanding government prioritises economic growth.
The rally was organised by the metalworkers` union FIOM and the CGIL union drew supporters from all over the country, reported by a news agency.
After weeks of political paralysis following inconclusive elections in February, Italy now has a “grand coalition” government, including bitter rivals from the center-left and center-right blocs in Parliament.
Unemployment for young people is at about 39 percent, while the overall jobless rate is 11.5 percent.
The previous government used spending cuts and higher taxes to battle Italy’s debt. Italians are demanding job creation measures soon.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das