Thousands protest in Rome against austerity cuts
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: Thousands of protesters on Saturday took to the streets of the Italian capital Rome calling for an end to austerity measures and demanding government prioritises economic growth.
The rally was organised by the metalworkers` union FIOM and the CGIL union drew supporters from all over the country, reported by a news agency.
After weeks of political paralysis following inconclusive elections in February, Italy now has a “grand coalition” government, including bitter rivals from the center-left and center-right blocs in Parliament.
Unemployment for young people is at about 39 percent, while the overall jobless rate is 11.5 percent.
The previous government used spending cuts and higher taxes to battle Italy’s debt. Italians are demanding job creation measures soon.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch