Thousands rally for Taiwan sovereignty
Taipei: About 1,000 chanting
pro-independence activists took to the streets of Taipei
on Sunday, accusing Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou of surrendering
the island`s sovereignty to China.
The rally, which comes four months ahead of the 2012
presidential election, was considered part of pro-independence
groups` efforts to help the leading anti-China opposition, the
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).
"Dump Ma to safeguard Taiwan!" the crowd chanted while
marching through the capital.
Pro-independence groups have accused Ma of
compromising Taiwan`s sovereignty in exchange for economic
benefits from Beijing, a claim which has been categorically
denied by Ma.
Taiwan`s economy last year expanded 10.88 per cent, a
24-year high, fuelled by rapid growth in China, the island`s
main trading partner, Ma has said.
Ties between Taipei and Beijing have improved markedly
since Ma came to power on a platform of beefing up trade links
and allowing in more Chinese tourists.
But Beijing still regards Taiwan part of its territory
awaiting to be reunified -- by force if necessary -- even
though the island has ruled itself since 1949, at the end of a
Ma, who is seeking a second and last four-year term,
will take on DPP chairwoman Tsai Ing-wen, the island`s first
female presidential candidate, in January`s vote.
Recent polls indicate that Ma and Tsai enjoy similar
levels of public support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened