Thousands rally to push goals of Egypt`s uprising
Cairo: Thousands of Egyptians demonstrated across the country to denounce the president and purse the goals of the 2011 popular uprising.
Saturday`s protests marked the fifth anniversary of the formation of the April 6th Youth Movement started in 2008 under former President Hosni Mubarak. Workers in Mahalla tore down a poster of Mubarak in what was a daring move at the time.
The group also played a crucial role in the uprising that toppled Mubarak.
The movement initially backed President Mohammed Morsi in election run-offs last June, but has since turned against him. The opposition accuses him of acting like his autocratic predecessor and of not having an inclusive political process.
Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood party says Morsi should be challenged at the ballot box, not in street protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH