Thousands rally to push goals of Egypt`s uprising
Cairo: Thousands of Egyptians demonstrated across the country to denounce the president and purse the goals of the 2011 popular uprising.
Saturday`s protests marked the fifth anniversary of the formation of the April 6th Youth Movement started in 2008 under former President Hosni Mubarak. Workers in Mahalla tore down a poster of Mubarak in what was a daring move at the time.
The group also played a crucial role in the uprising that toppled Mubarak.
The movement initially backed President Mohammed Morsi in election run-offs last June, but has since turned against him. The opposition accuses him of acting like his autocratic predecessor and of not having an inclusive political process.
Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood party says Morsi should be challenged at the ballot box, not in street protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway