Thousands rally to push goals of Egypt`s uprising
Cairo: Thousands of Egyptians demonstrated across the country to denounce the president and purse the goals of the 2011 popular uprising.
Saturday`s protests marked the fifth anniversary of the formation of the April 6th Youth Movement started in 2008 under former President Hosni Mubarak. Workers in Mahalla tore down a poster of Mubarak in what was a daring move at the time.
The group also played a crucial role in the uprising that toppled Mubarak.
The movement initially backed President Mohammed Morsi in election run-offs last June, but has since turned against him. The opposition accuses him of acting like his autocratic predecessor and of not having an inclusive political process.
Morsi`s Muslim Brotherhood party says Morsi should be challenged at the ballot box, not in street protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley