Thousands told to evacuate as floods hit Australia
Sydney: Thousands of Australians were
ordered on Saturday to evacuate their homes in Sydney`s northwest and
elsewhere in New South Wales state as heavy rainfall flooded
rivers and waterways.
State Emergency Service Commissioner Murray Kear said
that 3,500 people were subject to evacuation orders as 75 per
cent of the state, the most populous in the country, was
affected by flooding.
Days of heavy rain after a damp summer have seen Sydney`s
Warragamba Dam, the main source of the city`s drinking water,
reach capacity for the first time in 14 years -- prompting the
water to move over its spillways late yesterday.
The swollen Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers were now
threatening areas around Sydney`s northwest.
"This is a moderate flood but it`s unusual because we
haven`t seen water in this river system in a while," Kear said
of the waters, which are likely to swamp bridges and close
Further west in New South Wales, the town of Bathurst had
been cut in two by floodwaters while across the state some
2,300 people had been left isolated by the surging torrents.
A severe weather warning for flash flooding was in place
in large areas of New South Wales and the southern state of
Victoria was also bracing for heavy rainfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears