Three British Muslims plead guilty to terror charges
London: Three British Muslim men, who travelled to Pakistan to attend terror training camps, on Friday pleaded guilty to planning to prepare for terrorism acts overseas.
Richard Dart, 30, along with fellow Londoners Imran Mahmood, 21, and Jahangir Alom, 26, pleaded guilty to preparing for terrorism or assisting another in terrorism between July 2010 and July 2012 at a hearing at the Old Bailey today.
They appeared before Justice Simon by prison video-link for the plea and case management hearing and are due to face trial next month.
The charges against them said they travelled to Pakistan for terror training, travelled abroad to commit acts of terrorism and provided information about travel to Pakistan, terrorism training and operational security while there.
Dart, the son of teachers from Dorset in south-west England, had appeared in a BBC documentary back in 2011 made by his stepbrother soon after his conversion to Islam.
In the film, My Brother The Islamist, the bearded convert was said to have changed his name to Salahuddin al-Britani and reportedly worked as a BBC security guard in the past.
Dart`s extremism was traced to radical group Muslims Against Crusades, which he claimed to represent at events in London.
The UK government subsequently banned the group in November 2011, classifying it as a new version of an outfit already on a list of proscribed terrorist organisations.
No evidence has been presented in court to reveal how Dart and his co-accused were recruited to commit the offences to which they have pleaded guilty.
Alom, from east London, used to be a police community support officer and his wife Ruksana Begum, previously pleaded guilty to possession of information likely to be useful to a terrorist by having a memory card carrying copies of a jihadist magazine, Inspire.
The publication, aimed at English-speakers, included information about using handguns and remote detonation of explosives.
She received a 12-month jail sentence in December 2012.
Two of Begum`s brothers were jailed last year after pleading guilty to a bomb plot that could have targeted the London Stock Exchange.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe