Three charged over bombing of bank in China

The suspects may face life in prison or even death sentence under China`s Criminal Law if they are convicted.

Updated: Apr 01, 2012, 01:00 AM IST

Beijing: Three men have been charged by
prosecutors in central China in connection with the bombing of
a bank during a robbery attempt in which two people were
killed and 10 other injured in December last year.

Wang Haijian, Wang Wei and Wang An`an were indicted for
endangering public security by the People`s Procuratorate of
Wuhan in central Hubei province before the city`s Intermediate
People`s Court.

The three were accused of setting off a homemade bomb in
front of a branch of the state-owned China Construction Bank
in Wuhan on December 1, 2011, according to the indictment.

Prosecutors said Wang Haijian had been making improvised
explosive devices since October 2010 and was joined by the
other two in plotting a bank robbery in July 2011, state-run
Xinhua news agency reported.

The homemade bomb, hidden on a section of pavement in
front of the bank, was detonated when clerks were about to
load money into a bank vehicle.

The bombing killed two people on the spot and caused
financial losses of about 127,000 yuan (USD 20,320), the
prosecutors said.

The suspects may face life in prison or even death
sentence under China`s Criminal Law if they are convicted.

PTI