Three children among 10 killed in C Africa attack: NGO
Bangui (Central African Republic): Ten Muslims, including three children, were killed in an attack while trying to flee to safety in the strife-torn Central African Republic, a charity said today.
The attack yesterday hit a truck convoy transporting Muslims to Bouar, in the north-west of the country, leaving up to 50 people injured.
"It is a sign of the still fraught and highly dangerous situation in the Central African Republic that children and their families have been attacked and killed while trying to evacuate to safety," said Robert Lankenau from charity Save the Children in a statement.
He added that while peacekeeping troops from the African Union and France have been trying to restore stability in the country, "it`s clear that this protection is not reaching children in more remote areas".
"We`re continuing to call for this UN-mandated force to patrol the remotest regions where so much of the violence goes unseen, with more troops deployed if necessary."
Sectarian violence has gripped the landlocked country after a March 2013 coup launched by the mostly Muslims Seleka rebels who installed their leader as president in the mainly Christian country.
Some of the Seleka turned rogue and carried out a string of atrocities including killings, rape and pillage, prompting Christians to form vigilante groups in response, and plunging the country into a vicious cycle of revenge attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH