Three contractors killed in Green Zone rocket attack
Baghdad: Three security contractors working
for the US government were killed in a rocket attack on
Baghdad`s heavily-fortified Green Zone on Thursday, the American
Three other people were killed in incidents in northern
Iraq`s main city of Mosul and the former rebel bastion of
Fallujah, west of Baghdad, security officials added.
"Two Ugandans and one Peruvian were killed and 15 people
injured" by "a rocket fired into the International Zone," the
embassy said, using another name for the Green Zone in central
"Two of the injured were American citizens," it said in a
statement. "All the dead and injured worked for a US
government security contractor which protects US government
facilities in Iraq."
The Green Zone, which houses the US and several other
major embassies as well as Iraqi government buildings, is
still the target of frequent rocket and mortar attacks.
US forces handed full responsibility for the "entry
control points" that regulate movement into and out of the
area over to Iraqi authorities on June 1, 2010.
The transfer was part of an American military drawdown in
Iraq that will see all but 50,000 US soldiers leave the
country by the end of August.
In the restive city of Mosul on Thursday, gunmen killed
two people and wounded two others in separate attacks. Sheikh
Abd Fathi al-Naimi, the Sunni prayer leader of Al-Areej
mosque, was killed in the city`s Zinjili area.
Mosul has remained a hotbed of insurgent activity even as
levels of political violence have fallen off in much of the
rest of the country.
And in Fallujah, a policeman was killed and a civilian
wounded when a magnetic "sticky bomb" affixed to the
policeman`s car detonated, a police official said.
Three Iraqi soldiers were also wounded by a roadside bomb
that targeted a four-vehicle patrol in Garma, east of
Fallujah, said provincial security official Major Yassin
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi