Three dead, several injured in Swiss factory shooting
Berlin: Three people have reportedly lost their lives and many are injured in a shooting that took place in a factory in central Switzerland on Wednesday.
Police in Lucerne canton (state) said in a statement that the shooting occurred shortly after 9 a.m. at the premises ofKronospan, a company in the small town of Menznau, west ofLucerne.
Police said that the rescue services were deployed and the scene sealed off without much elaboration.
The local Neue Luzerner Zeitung newspaper cited a witness as saying that the shooter opened fire in the company canteen.
Swiss news website 20min.ch, citing a reporter at the site, said police confirmed three deaths — including the assailant — and said seven people were injured, some of them seriously.
However, police in Lucerne, the local administrative center, said they didn`t yet have figures.
According to the local town council, Kronospan has some 450 employees.
It was not immediately clear who the shooter was or what the motive might have been.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award