Three guerrillas, two suicide bombers killed in Russia
Moscow: Three suspected guerrilla fighters were killed in a clash with police in Russia`s turbulent Dagestan region on Friday, Russian news agencies reported.
"Three guerrilla fighters were killed in a clash (in Dagestan`s capital Makhachkala). They are being identified," RIA Novosti quoted an FSB security service official as saying.
The suspects reportedly opened fire on a police post and were repulsed by a police patrol, NTV television reported.
In a separate incident, two suicide bombers set off explosive devices "when cornered in an apartment in Chechnya`s town of Shali and asked to surrender," injuring three policemen and three locals, Russian military officials said as quoted by Interfax.
Concerns have mounted over increased militant attacks throughout Russia`s Caucasus region, where Islamist militants have been battling pro-Kremlin local authorities and Russian security forces in a low-level insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?