Three jailed for Auschwitz sign theft: Court
Warsaw: A Polish court on Thursday sentenced
three men to up to two-and-a-half years in prison for stealing
the infamous "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign from the Auschwitz death
camp, a spokeswoman told agency.
"Pawel S was sentenced to one-and-a-half years, Lukasz
M to two years and four months, and Radoslaw M to
two-and-a-half years," said Krakow court spokeswoman Andzelika
Michalik, following the standard Polish practice of only
providing first names and initials.
The trio, who acknowledged their role in the December
theft, were also fined USD 3,560 each, Michalik said.
"They can appeal," she added.
The sign was stolen late on December 17 or early
December 18 from the gate of the notorious camp, which was run
by Nazi Germany in occupied Poland during World War II and is
now a museum and memorial.
It was recovered by Polish police less than three days
after the theft and a total of five Polish men were arrested
The thieves already had criminal records for theft and
violence, but were not from the far right, investigators said.
The remaining two Poles have yet to come to trial
because Polish investigators are waiting for the extradition
of Anders Hoegstroem, a Swedish former neo-Nazi leader also
wanted in the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know