Three journalists killed in Nigeria
Abuja: Three local Nigerian journalists
were killed over the weekend in the restive nation with one
felled by unknown gunmen in his residence in Lagos while two
were murdered in the volatile northern city of Jos while
reporting Muslim-Christian communal clashes.
Edo Sule Ugbagwu a judiciary correspondent with The
Nation`s newspaper was gunned down in his home by unidentified
gunmen on Sunday. Earlier two journalists Nathan S Dabak and
Sunday Gyang Bwede working for a Christian newspaper were
killed in Jos on Saturday.
The Jos killing is not unrelated to the crises in the
city as the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) said the
journalists were murdered while covering the fighting in the
So far, the police have only reacted to the killing
of Ugbagwu with the Lagos State police spokesman saying he was
killed after confrontation.
The country`s Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna
Onovo has ordered the officers to fish out the killers of
"The deceased is our colleague in the criminal
system," he stated while mandating the Lagos State
Commissioner of Police, Marvel Akpoyibo, to thoroughly
investigate the matter and leave no stone unturned in the hunt
for the culprits.
Killing of journalists in Nigeria has become common
and their killers are not found by the police.
Less than a year ago, a journalist with local
Guardian newspaper, Bayo Ohu was killed in similar
circumstances in his residence on September 20, 2009 while on
August 17, 2008, a journalist with Thisday newspaper was shot
while driving home by yet to be apprehended gunmen.
In 2006, Mr Godwin Agbroko another journalist with
Thisday was gunned down on his way home at an expressway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani