Three journalists killed in Nigeria
Abuja: Three local Nigerian journalists
were killed over the weekend in the restive nation with one
felled by unknown gunmen in his residence in Lagos while two
were murdered in the volatile northern city of Jos while
reporting Muslim-Christian communal clashes.
Edo Sule Ugbagwu a judiciary correspondent with The
Nation`s newspaper was gunned down in his home by unidentified
gunmen on Sunday. Earlier two journalists Nathan S Dabak and
Sunday Gyang Bwede working for a Christian newspaper were
killed in Jos on Saturday.
The Jos killing is not unrelated to the crises in the
city as the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) said the
journalists were murdered while covering the fighting in the
So far, the police have only reacted to the killing
of Ugbagwu with the Lagos State police spokesman saying he was
killed after confrontation.
The country`s Inspector General of Police, Ogbonna
Onovo has ordered the officers to fish out the killers of
"The deceased is our colleague in the criminal
system," he stated while mandating the Lagos State
Commissioner of Police, Marvel Akpoyibo, to thoroughly
investigate the matter and leave no stone unturned in the hunt
for the culprits.
Killing of journalists in Nigeria has become common
and their killers are not found by the police.
Less than a year ago, a journalist with local
Guardian newspaper, Bayo Ohu was killed in similar
circumstances in his residence on September 20, 2009 while on
August 17, 2008, a journalist with Thisday newspaper was shot
while driving home by yet to be apprehended gunmen.
In 2006, Mr Godwin Agbroko another journalist with
Thisday was gunned down on his way home at an expressway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark