Three killed in Egypt church attack
Cairo: At least three people were killed and nine injured when gunmen opened fire at a wedding ceremony being held in a church in a Cairo suburb late Sunday, Al-Ahram daily reported on its website.
A 13-year-old girl, the groom`s mother and a man died in the attack in Cairo`s Al-Warraq district, Al-Ahram said, quoting a spokesman from Egypt`s interior ministry.
Security forces surrounded the church shortly after the attack, the daily said.
An eyewitness told Al-Ahram that a man randomly fired 15 bullets at the wedding guests before fleeing the scene.
There has been a spike in attacks on Coptic churches, monasteries, homes and businesses in upper Egypt since the army ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi July 3 after mass protests against his rule.
Egypt`s Coptic minority forms around 10 percent of the population in the Muslim country. They have long complained of attacks on them and discrimination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees