Three killed in Egypt church attack
Cairo: At least three people were killed and nine injured when gunmen opened fire at a wedding ceremony being held in a church in a Cairo suburb late Sunday, Al-Ahram daily reported on its website.
A 13-year-old girl, the groom`s mother and a man died in the attack in Cairo`s Al-Warraq district, Al-Ahram said, quoting a spokesman from Egypt`s interior ministry.
Security forces surrounded the church shortly after the attack, the daily said.
An eyewitness told Al-Ahram that a man randomly fired 15 bullets at the wedding guests before fleeing the scene.
There has been a spike in attacks on Coptic churches, monasteries, homes and businesses in upper Egypt since the army ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi July 3 after mass protests against his rule.
Egypt`s Coptic minority forms around 10 percent of the population in the Muslim country. They have long complained of attacks on them and discrimination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur