Three killed in Indiana supermarket shooting: Police
Washington: Three people were killed, including a gunman, after shooting erupted in an Indiana supermarket on Wednesday evening, police said.
Indiana State Police said the shooting happened at around 10 pm local time at an open but sparsely populated Martin`s Super Market in Elkhart, a city of some 50,000 residents about 140 miles north of Indianapolis in the US state.
"We believe it was a single shooter and he is dead," Indiana State Police spokesman Trent Smith told a news conference.
The three dead were believed to be a female store employee in her late teens or early 20s, a female shopper in her mid-40s, and the shooter, who was thought to be in his early 20s, Smith said.
Details such as what motivated the violence and whether there was any connection between the gunman and store employees were not immediately known, he said.
Police found a large knife and a large-caliber, semi-automatic handgun inside the store near the suspect, who was believed to live in the area, Smith said.
Police were withholding the suspect`s name pending notification of his family.
The women were shot before police arrived. Police and the suspect then exchanged several rounds of gunfire, Smith said.
"I cannot confirm how the shooter died but he was engaged by police," Indiana State Police spokesman Brooks Shirk said.
Martin`s Super Markets, founded in 1947, operates 21 stores in Indiana and Michigan, according to its website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what