Three killed in Indiana supermarket shooting: Police
Washington: Three people were killed, including a gunman, after shooting erupted in an Indiana supermarket on Wednesday evening, police said.
Indiana State Police said the shooting happened at around 10 pm local time at an open but sparsely populated Martin`s Super Market in Elkhart, a city of some 50,000 residents about 140 miles north of Indianapolis in the US state.
"We believe it was a single shooter and he is dead," Indiana State Police spokesman Trent Smith told a news conference.
The three dead were believed to be a female store employee in her late teens or early 20s, a female shopper in her mid-40s, and the shooter, who was thought to be in his early 20s, Smith said.
Details such as what motivated the violence and whether there was any connection between the gunman and store employees were not immediately known, he said.
Police found a large knife and a large-caliber, semi-automatic handgun inside the store near the suspect, who was believed to live in the area, Smith said.
Police were withholding the suspect`s name pending notification of his family.
The women were shot before police arrived. Police and the suspect then exchanged several rounds of gunfire, Smith said.
"I cannot confirm how the shooter died but he was engaged by police," Indiana State Police spokesman Brooks Shirk said.
Martin`s Super Markets, founded in 1947, operates 21 stores in Indiana and Michigan, according to its website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi