Three killed in northern Nigeria bomb explosion
Abuja: Three people, including two members of the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram, were killed on Tuesday as a bomb that was being carried on a motorbike accidentally went off in Nigeria`s northern city of Kaduna, police said.
Two Boko Haram members carrying a bomb on a motorbike died as it accidentally went off, also killing another motorcyclist riding behind them who got wounded and died before he arrived at Army Referral Hospital where he was rushed to, an eyewitness said.
The eyewitness, Mohammed Ibrahim, said the two suspected bombers were heading towards the northern part of Kaduna metropolis before the bomb accidentally blew them up killing them instantly.
Confirming the incident, police spokesman for the state Abubakar Balteh, said: "The people carrying an object suspected to be an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on a motorbike from Singer Round About towards Lugard Hall Round About died as the device exploded close to the NNPC filling station killing the two of them."
He said police have sent forensic experts to the area to take evidence which would be analysed for additional information.
Boko Haram, carries out frequent attacks in northern Nigeria.
The group has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria`s northern cities in their bid to install an Islamic emirate in the country.
In several of the sects attacks, bombs, suicide bombers and drive by gun shots have been used to kill hundreds of people.
The oil rich African country has a population of 150 million equally divided among Christians and Muslims.
The Muslims are mostly found in the north while the Christians have their majority in the South.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed