Three leads in grisly Alps killing: Official
Annecy (France): Investigators are pursuing three leads in the killings of a British-Iraqi couple and two other people in the French Alps, but there are no suspects yet, a prosecutor said Thursday. The leads include an alleged family financial dispute.
Saad Al-Hilli, his wife Iqbal, and an elderly woman were shot dead inside a car in a remote area of southeast France, while a French cyclist riding nearby was also killed.
Prosecutor Eric Maillaud said at a news conference that the couple`s 7-year-old daughter, who survived the attack last Wednesday, is a "key witness" but likely will not be the pivot to unravelling the grisly case.
She`s still recovering from wounds and hasn`t been questioned. Her 4-year-old sister survived the attack unharmed.
Investigators have been looking into reports of a financial dispute between the Saad Al-Hilli and his brother, but the brother has denied any such conflict.
Aside from the purported family dispute, possible links to Saad Al-Hilli`s profession as an engineer and the couple`s roots in Iraq are the other leads.
Meanwhile, relatives of the dead couple said they hope those responsible for the killings are brought quickly to justice.
In their first public statement, released through Britain`s foreign ministry, Ahmed Al-Saffar said family members are "heartbroken by this shocking crime." Al-Saffar was identified by the ministry as brother to the elderly woman killed in the attack.
The elderly woman has not been formally named, but the Sipa news agency has reported she is the Swedish-Iraqi mother-in-law of Saad al-Hilli.
"We hope that those responsible for the deaths of our loved ones are brought swiftly to justice," Al-Saffar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi