Three men guilty in theft of Cyprus ex-leader`s corpse
Nicosia: A Cyprus court has found a jailed murderer, his brother and another man guilty of unlawfully exhuming the body of the island`s former president.
The body of Tassos Papadopoulos was snatched from a
Nicosia cemetery in 2009 and was reburied three months later
after police arrested the suspects and found the body.
The court today convicted Antonis Prokopiou Kitas, his
brother Mamas, and Sarbjit Singh of India of stealing
Papadopoulos` body but cleared them of attempting to extort
money from the late president`s family. Sentencing will be
It ruled that Antonis, who was serving a life
sentence, took the body to try and negotiate his release from
Papadopoulos served as president of the divided
Mediterranean island between 2003 and 2008, and died that year
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'