Three militants killed in Tajikistan fighting: Official
Dushanbe: Government forces in Tajikistan
killed three Islamist militants on Friday amid fresh fighting in a
volatile region near the border with Afghanistan, a Tajik
military official told a news agency.
Thousands of troops have surged into the remote Rasht
Valley region near the Afghan border as part of a manhunt for
militants believed responsible for a string of deadly attacks
throughout the Central Asian state in recent weeks.
"Three fighters have been killed," a Tajik military
official told a news agency under condition of anonymity.
"Their identity has not yet been established but these
fighters are from local terrorist organisations."
Tajikistan, a majority-Muslim country and the poorest
state to emerge from the collapse of the Soviet Union nearly
two decades ago, has suffered a string of attacks recently
that the government blames on Islamist militants.
The country`s deadliest attack this year occurred Sunday
when insurgents ambushed a military convoy in the Rasht
Valley, a mountainous region some 250 kilometres (150 miles)
east of the capital Dushanbe.
On Thursday, the al Qaeda-linked militant groups the
Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), claimed responsibility
for the attack, which killed at least 28 government soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling