Three more Iranians held in Bangkok bombing case
Bangkok: Three more Iranian nationals have been detained on suspicion of their involvement in three bombings that rocked Bangkok Feb 14 in which five people were injured. Three Iranians have already been arrested while a woman suspect is at large.
The three Iranians were detained Sunday, Xinhua reported Monday citing local media INN.
The three suspects -- two men and a woman -- were identified as Madani Seyed Mehrded, Rahimi Rad Iraj and his wife Mahboobh Tasbehi.
They all lived in the Naza Vegas building in Watthana district, where fellow Iranian suspect Leila Rohani also lived.
Rohani, the woman who rented the house at Sukhumvit 71 road in Soi Pridi Panomyong 31 area, is believed to have fled to Tehran, according to police.
Rahimi Rad Iraj worked as a chef at a hotel in the Soi Nana business area, the report said.
Mehrded, 33, was detained Sunday when police raided a room in Naza Vegas.
Police tracked him by the mobile phone call logs which showed he had regular contacts with the first two suspects -- Saeid Moradi, 28, and Mohammad Hazaei, 42.
Mehrded was also allegedly seen in front of the Israeli embassy on Asoke Road on the day of the incident.
He had entered Thailand July 27 last year and apparently overstayed his visa that expired Sep 29, 2011.
Police arrested Rahimi Rad Iraj and his wife on charges of delivering food to Mehrded.
The first blast Feb 14 in Bangkok took place in a two-storeyed residential building where three Iranians were staying. The Iranians fled the building after the explosion.
Saeid Moradi tried to hire a taxi. But when the driver refused to take him, he threw a bomb at him, injuring him and three pedestrians.
When police arrived at the scene, he threw a bomb at them. But it bounced back and blew up in front of him. Moradi lost both his legs in the blast.
Mohammad Hazaei was taken into custody at Bangkok`s Suvarnabhumi airport while attempting to board a plane to Malaysia.
The third suspect -- 31-year-old Masoud Sedaghatzadeh -- was arrested by Malaysian authorities after he managed to board a flight for Kuala Lumpur.
Sedaghatzadeh planned to board a flight from the Malaysian capital to Tehran.
The South Bangkok Criminal Court has issued an arrest warrant for a fifth suspect -- identified as 52-year-old Nikkhafard Javad -- after a camera captured him walking out of the house where the first bomb went off.
Meanwhile, Thai National Police chief Pol. Gen. Priewpan Damapong said Monday that Malaysia has informed them about their decision to delay the extradition of Sedaghatzadeh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India