Three new Lebanese attacks linked to Hariri murder
The Hague: Three other attacks on Lebanese politicians are being linked to the 2005 murder of the country`s former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri, the UN tribunal
investigating his death said on Friday.
"The pre-trial judge has established that there is a connection between those three cases and the February 14, 2005 attack," Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) spokesman Marten Youssef told a news agency.
The STL took jurisdiction of the three attacks relating to two Lebanese ex-ministers, who survived assassination attempts, Marwan Hamadeh and Elias Murr, as well as former Communist party head George Hawi, who was killed by a bomb blast on June 21, 2005.
"Judge (Daniel) Fransen ruled confidentially on 5 August, that the prosecutor had presented prima facie evidence that each of these cases are connected, and are thus within the tribunal`s jurisdiction," Youssef said.
The UN-backed court is tasked with identifying those behind Hariri`s assassination as well as a string of bombings between 2004 and 2005 that killed or wounded several anti-Syrian politicians or journalists.
Four members of the radical Syrian-backed Hezbollah movement have been indicted for the massive bomb attack on February 14, 2005, that killed Rafiq Hariri and 22 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali