Three reformists get 6-year jail terms in Iran: Agency
Tehran: Three leading Iranian political reformists have been sentenced to six years in jail and barred from involvement in politics or journalism for 10 years, the ISNA news agency reported on Sunday.
Mohsen Mirdamadi, head of the Participation Front, the main reformist party, former deputy interior minister Mostafa Tajzadeh and Davoud Soleimani were found guilty of harming national security and propaganda against the regime.
The verdicts can be appealed.
Thousands of people have been detained during opposition demonstrations against last June`s disputed re-election of hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, some of whom have been sentenced to stiff prison terms.
According to Iranian media reports, 10 protesters charged with taking part in the post-election unrest have been sentenced to death.
On January 28, Iran executed Mohammad Reza Ali Zamani and Arash Rahmani Pour, two members of a monarchist group. The timing of their arrests remains unclear, but they went on trial along with several post-election protesters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM