Three sentenced in Ohio terrorism case
Toledo: Three men convicted of
plotting to recruit and train terrorists to kill US soldiers
in Iraq have been sentenced in a federal court to more than
eight years in prison.
Mohammad Amawi, 29, received a 20-year term, with
credit for three years he has already spent in custody. He
will remain under lifetime supervision upon his release, US
District Judge James Carr said. Marwan El-Hindi, 46, described
by prosecutors as the leader, was sentenced to 12 years in
prison, and given an 18-month consecutive term on an unrelated
Both men had faced a maximum sentence of life in
prison. "This isn`t a capital `T` terrorism case," Carr said.
The third man, Wassim Mazloum, 27, was sentenced to
eight years and four months in prison.
But the judge said he hoped the sentences send a
message to anyone who is tempted to even talk about harming
Amawi and El-Hindi are US citizens. Mazloum came to
the US legally from Lebanon. El-Hindi was born in Jordan.
Amawi was born in the US but also has Jordanian citizenship.
Amawi, El-Hindi and Mazloum met in Toledo about five
years ago and began plotting and training to help insurgents
in Iraq, the FBI said during their trial last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?