Three soldiers killed in attacks on Egypt Army in Sinai
Cairo: Twin blasts on Wednesday targeting Egypt`s Army killed at least three soldiers in the restive Sinai peninsula, where the military is battling an insurgency, security officials said.
"A large explosion" targeted the military intelligence headquarters in Rafah on the border with the Gaza Strip, one official said.
Minutes later, a second explosion hit an Army checkpoint nearby.
At least eight soldiers were injured in the attacks, with some in critical condition, the officials said.
Witnesses said the powerful blast shattered the windows of buildings in Rafah`s Imam Ali area.
The military intelligence headquarters is located in a high-security military zone and surrounded by checkpoints, sources in Rafah said.
All roads in and out of the town were closed as armed forces combed the area for suspects.
The attacks come just days after an al Qaeda inspired group in the Sinai peninsula claimed credit for a Cairo bombing that targeted the interior minister last week, pledging more attacks.
The military has poured troops and armour into Sinai to crush an insurgency that surged after the army overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on July 3.
A subsequent crackdown on Islamists by authorities left hundreds dead.
In its weekend statement, the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group -- Partisans of Jerusalem in English -- had blamed interior minister Mohammed Ibrahim and army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi for the deaths of hundreds of Morsi`s supporters.
"We call on all Muslims in Egypt to stay away from all military and interior ministry installations to preserve their lives," the statement said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference