Three Sudanese athletes sought asylum in Britain
Khartoum: Sudan is denying that one of its Olympic runners has defected in London, while confirming that three athletes in another competition have requested asylum.
The Sudanese embassy in London first confirmed, then denied that one of the country`s two participants in the Olympics asked for asylum.
In its first comment today, the official SUNA news agency said both "are fully engaged in the competition”.
The three athletes who asked for asylum were competing in the IAAF World Junior Championship in Barcelona.
They disappeared from their delegation and turned up at a police station in London, the SUNA agency said. The fourth returned to Sudan.
It is not clear what prompted the athletes to seek asylum. This comes during a government crackdown on protests over Sudan`s new austerity measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what