Three Sudanese athletes sought asylum in Britain
Khartoum: Sudan is denying that one of its Olympic runners has defected in London, while confirming that three athletes in another competition have requested asylum.
The Sudanese embassy in London first confirmed, then denied that one of the country`s two participants in the Olympics asked for asylum.
In its first comment today, the official SUNA news agency said both "are fully engaged in the competition”.
The three athletes who asked for asylum were competing in the IAAF World Junior Championship in Barcelona.
They disappeared from their delegation and turned up at a police station in London, the SUNA agency said. The fourth returned to Sudan.
It is not clear what prompted the athletes to seek asylum. This comes during a government crackdown on protests over Sudan`s new austerity measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information