Three US school workers split Mega Millions win
Baltimore: Two public school teachers and a
school administrator are sharing the spoils of last month`s
record Mega Millions jackpot, planning trips to Europe, new
homes and a daughter`s college education, Maryland state
lottery officials said on Tuesday.
The Maryland winners claimed their proceeds yesterday and
chose to remain anonymous, but the lottery agency shared some
details in a news conference, including the fact that each of
the three works other jobs outside school to make ends meet.
"If it can`t be you, these people are precisely the
people you would want to see win," Maryland Lottery director
Stephen Martino said.
The winning Maryland ticket is one of three nationally
that split the USD 656 million jackpot, the biggest in Mega
Millions history. The other winners in the March 30 drawing
were picked in Kansas and Illinois. Kansas` winner claimed a
share of the jackpot Friday, but also decided to remain
anonymous. Nobody has come forward in Illinois.
Martino said the Maryland winners bought 60 tickets in
three locations as a pool. The winning ticket came from a
7-Eleven store in Milford Mill outside Baltimore.
Each of the three will receive a lump sum payment of USD
35 million after taxes.
The two women and one man work in public education in the
state. Officials did not disclose where, and said they knew
each other from work but were not all at the same school.
One woman is in her 20s, one in her 50s and the man is in
One winner is a special education teacher, one is an
elementary school teacher and the third is a school
Their plans include backpacking in Europe, a tour of
Italy`s wine country and paying for a daughter`s college
All three also planned to buy new homes and invest,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?