Tibet: 63 year old herdsman sets himself on fire
Beijing: A 63-year-old Tibetan herdsman died after setting himself ablaze near a monastery in northwest China, the latest in a series of self immolations by people calling for the Dalai Lama`s return in the unrest-hit region.
A herdsman set himself on fire near a monastery in the Gansu Province yesterday, Chinese state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The incident occurred near Labrang Monastery in Xiahe County, it quoted local officials as saying.
The man was identified as a herdsman from Dammai Township, the brief report said.
Over 50 people, many of them monks and nuns, have died after self immolations in the larger Tibetan region.
Overseas Tibetan groups have said such protests highlight the unrest against Chinese rule in Tibet.
Chinese officials on the other hand blame the Dalai Lama for inciting protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof