Tibet: 63 year old herdsman sets himself on fire
Beijing: A 63-year-old Tibetan herdsman died after setting himself ablaze near a monastery in northwest China, the latest in a series of self immolations by people calling for the Dalai Lama`s return in the unrest-hit region.
A herdsman set himself on fire near a monastery in the Gansu Province yesterday, Chinese state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The incident occurred near Labrang Monastery in Xiahe County, it quoted local officials as saying.
The man was identified as a herdsman from Dammai Township, the brief report said.
Over 50 people, many of them monks and nuns, have died after self immolations in the larger Tibetan region.
Overseas Tibetan groups have said such protests highlight the unrest against Chinese rule in Tibet.
Chinese officials on the other hand blame the Dalai Lama for inciting protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender