Tibet: 63 year old herdsman sets himself on fire
Beijing: A 63-year-old Tibetan herdsman died after setting himself ablaze near a monastery in northwest China, the latest in a series of self immolations by people calling for the Dalai Lama`s return in the unrest-hit region.
A herdsman set himself on fire near a monastery in the Gansu Province yesterday, Chinese state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The incident occurred near Labrang Monastery in Xiahe County, it quoted local officials as saying.
The man was identified as a herdsman from Dammai Township, the brief report said.
Over 50 people, many of them monks and nuns, have died after self immolations in the larger Tibetan region.
Overseas Tibetan groups have said such protests highlight the unrest against Chinese rule in Tibet.
Chinese officials on the other hand blame the Dalai Lama for inciting protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack