Tibet has most of China`s nature reserves
Beijing: With 61 nature reserves spread across a total land area of 410,000 square meters, the Tibet region has China`s largest proportion of such habitat, a forestry official said on Friday.
The reserves established across a total land area of 410,000 square meters accounts for 33.69 per cent of the land marking the highest ratio in China, said Zongga, director of the Wild Life Protection and Nature Reserve Department of the regional Forestry Bureau.
The proportion stood at just four per cent in 1990, he said.
About 125 wildlife species and 39 wild plant species under state protection live in these forestry, wildlife, wetland, desert, snow mountain and canyon reserves, said the director.
The population of red deer, a species on the verge of extinction, has been growing since the late 1990s.
The Tibetan antelope and black-necked crane populations are also expanding, he said.
Zongga also said the regional authority has mapped out a package of polices and regulations to standardise the protection of nature reserves, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Dinghushan, China`s first nature reserve, was established in south China`s Guangdong Province in 1956. The establishment of the first batch of nature reserves in Tibet was approved in 1985.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27